First off, here are 3 important points:
• Use the cleaning machine once a week… maybe twice if you have lot of facial hair or if you live in very humid environment.
• After each cleaning, pull out the cleaning solution cartridge and reseal it after each cleaning. This prevents evaporation and greatly extends the life of the solution.
• When your solution gets low (machine will tell you), don’t buy expensive, wasteful refills. Make yours efficiently and for cheap at home! Here’s how:
1) Take the fluid cartridge out of the machine. Don’t throw it away. In the cartridge, there will be some fluid or sludge of hair particles in the filter on the bottom.
2) Pour in rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl) to loosen the particles. Cover the two holes with your thumbs, shake vigorously and then pour the solution out into a sink or toilet. Try to pour the solution out of the non-filtered hole to allow the particle to escape.
3) Repeat with some fresh alcohol if there are still has too many particles still in it ~ it does not have to be perfect.
4) Let the container drain as much as possible or reasonable ~ again, it does not have to be perfect.
5) Make your own fluid (cleaning solution). Here’s the formula and how:
170 ml (max)
(II) Put in 4 teaspoons of water, preferably distilled (20 ml). This is a must.
(III) Fill the rest with rubbing or isopropyl alcohol (140 ml). Be sure to not overfill. Do not top it off. If you remember the original cartridge they are about 80% full. You should be around 70-75% full. If you overfill, the overflow fluid can corrode the cleaning machine and/or your shaver (blades)
6) Put the cartridge back into the base unit.
Done. Save money and resources from excess plastic and shipping costs!